Owen Ison Truitt was born at Spring Bay, Woodford County, Illinois, a tiny village a few miles north of Peoria, on the east side of the Illinois River, on November 20, 1868. He was therefore thirty years old at the time of the founding. His secondary education was also gained at the Wesleyan Academy. As he and Settles graduated in the same class on June 19, 1902, they must have become well acquainted both in the Academy and as fellow freshman in college. Both were in training for, and after graduation entered, the ministry of the Methodist Church, and both held student pastorates. Frater Truitt subsequently served four pastorates all in the Central Illinois Conference. On July 13, 1929, both he and his wife were killed in an automobile accident. He was the first of the Founders of "the Miracle Fraternity" to pass into the Chapter Eternal.
Joseph Lorenzo Settles was born November 2, 1871, in the little town of Lexington, seventeen miles northeast of Bloomington, Illinois. He entered Illinois Wesleyan Academy in the fall of 1896, and was known as "Dad" Settles; he was nearly 25 years old at the time. He completed the Academy coursework and enrolled in college, graduating from Illinois Wesleyan University in 1902. After graduation, he served as a minister for the Methodist Episcopal Church for over 18 years. He then served as Assistant Treasurer of the Methodist Centenary Fund and later moved to Los Angeles as the Executive Secretary for the Los Angeles Rotary Club. Founder Settles remained in Los Angeles until his death on February 15, 1943.
C. Roy Atkinson, who was always called by his middle name, was born in Bloomington, October 17, 1877, and lived there all his life. He entered Illinois Wesleyan in 1896, and graduated in 1900. He was therefore a junior at the time of the founding and scholastically two years ahead of his fellow Founders. He was a quiet young man but a fine singer, music being the great passion of his whole life. He had a leading place in many church choirs of Bloomington, and at the time of his death, was director of music in the Sunday school of the First Christian Church. He was official organist for the Order of the Eastern Star and he played for various functions of the Masonic Lodge. He was also chairman of the music committee of the Kiwanis Club, of which he was a Past President and Charter Member. Frater Atkinson died in an automobile accident on September 14, 1930. A peculiarity of his funeral was the absence of vocal music since none of the many persons with whom he had sung could trust themselves not to break down during the service.
James Carson McNutt was born on June 13, 1878, in Herrick, Illinois. McNutt was the first person whom Frater Settles approached with his plan for a new fraternal organization. After graduating in 1901, Frater McNutt taught school in Southern Illinois for a while before entering Washington University School of Medicine. He received the medical degree in 1905. Dr. McNutt was a general practitioner for many years and, in 1955, received the Illinois Medical Society's gold pin for fifty years of active practice. He was a well-respected physician who helped found two nursing schools. McNutt kept an avid interest in the fraternity, as evidenced by his attendance at Conclaves, his frequent speeches at Founders' Day and other Teke banquets, and by his joining with the other Founders in addressing the Fraternity at large. On May 19, 1962, this last of the Founders joined those who had gone before, dying at the age of 83.
Clarence Arthur Mayer, Frater McNutt's roommate, was born on May 18, 1879 at Mt. Pulaski, Logan County, Illinois. Frater Mayer graduated from Illinois Wesleyan in 1902. Mayer was the most colorful of the Founders. He was a musician of great natural ability and exceptional training. His field was the piano and pipe organ. In 1916, he and his wife and Wallace Grieves founded the Springfield College of Music and Allied Arts, of which he continued to be the director until 1926. Frater Mayer never ceased to be an active Teke and, along with Founder McNutt, laid down the eight criteria by which a real Teke will always be recognized, codifying the creed of the Founders. When Clarence A. Mayer died on August 8, 1960, Tau Kappa Epsilon lost not only a Founder but an inspiring leader.
The Knights of Classic Lore was founded.
National Founder William Wilson, during the winter months of 1907-1908, wrote the Declaration of Principles, spending many weeks preparing this document for presentation to the Fraternity. Never once modified since its original drafting, the Declaration of Principles stands today as the most important document in the Fraternity. It codifies the basic beliefs of Tau Kappa Epsilon and states two great dangers in college fraternity life: an attitude of exclusiveness toward non-fraternity men, and a bitter and unfriendly spirit toward other fraternities on campus.
Late in 1907, several undergraduate members of Tau Kappa Epsilon were again preparing a petition to be presented to the Phi Delta Theta national convention in 1908. The wisdom of petitioning, however, was being questioned with increasing frequency. To increase enthusiasm for this fourth attempt, a banquet was held on October 19, 1907, at which speeches were made both advocating and questioning the proposal. One of the most notable and influential speeches given was a blistering address by Wallace G. McCauley, titled "Opportunity Out of Defeat," in which he advocated the abandonment of the petitioning process and the substitution of a campaign for TKE to become its own national fraternity.
The year 2008 marked the Diamond Anniversary (100 years) of THE TEKE magazine. The first edition appeared in January 1908 and was a 20-page booklet of 7 by 10 inches bound with a gray cover and the title THE TEKE within a red triangle. Clyde M. Leach, Alpha Chapter, was the editor.
Conclave 1909 was held at Alpha Chapter House.
The Beta was installed at Millikin University.
Conclave 1910 was held at Alpha Chapter House.
Conclave 1911 was held at Beta Chapter House.
The Gamma was installed at University of Illinois.
Conclave 1912 was held at Alpha Chapter House.
The Delta was installed at Knox College.
Conclave 1913 was held at Beta Chapter House.
Conclave 1914 was held at Gamma Chapter House.
Conclave 1915 was held at Gamma Chapter House.
The Epsilon was installed at Iowa State University.
Conclave 1916 was held at Custer Hotel.
The Zeta was installed at Coe College.
The Eta was installed at University of Chicago.
The Theta was installed at University of Minnesota.
The Iota was installed at Eureka College.
Conclave 1917 was held at Sheldon-Munn Hotel.
The Kappa was installed at Beloit College.
The Lambda was installed at University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Conclave 1918 was held at Hotel LaSalle.
Conclave 1919 was held at Elk Clubrooms.
The Mu was installed at Carroll College.
The Nu was installed at University of California, Berkeley.
Conclave 1920 was held at Hotel Radisson.
The Xi was installed at Washington University.
Conclave 1921 was held at Park Hotel.
The Omicron was installed at The Ohio State University.
The Pi was installed at Pennsylvania State University.
Conclave 1922 was held at Hotel Montrose.
The Rho was installed at West Virginia University.
The Scorpion was installed at Cornell University.
Conclave 1923 was held at Hotel Chase.
The Tau was installed at Oregon State University.
Conclave 1924 was held at Illinois Hotel.
The Upsilon was installed at University of Michigan.
The Phi was installed at University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
The Chi was installed at University of Washington.
Conclave 1926 was held at Palmer House.
The Psi was installed at Gettysburg College.
The Omega was installed at Albion College.
The Alpha-Alpha was installed at Wabash College.
The Alpha-Beta was installed at Ohio University.
The Alpha-Gamma was installed at Washington State University.
The Alpha-Delta was installed at University of Idaho.
Conclave 1928 was held at Hotel Orlando.
The Alpha-Epsilon was installed at Monmouth College.
The Alpha-Zeta was installed at Purdue University.
The Alpha-Eta was installed at Rutgers University.
Conclave 1930 was held at Palace Hotel.
The Alpha-Theta was installed at Whitman College.
The Alpha-Iota was installed at Hamilton College.
The Alpha-Kappa was installed at University of Pennsylvania.
The Alpha-Lambda was installed at Kansas State University.
The Alpha-Mu was installed at Ohio Wesleyan University.
The Alpha-Nu was installed at University of New Hampshire.
The Alpha-Xi was installed at Drake University.
The Alpha-Omicron was installed at New Mexico State University.
The Alpha-Pi was installed at George Washington University.
Conclave 1935 was held at Hotel Baker.
The most significant measure adopted at the twentieth Conclave was the recognition of Lester H. Martin, L.W. Tuesburg, William Wilson, and Wallace G. McCauley for their dedicated and untiring efforts in the building of Tau Kappa Epsilon. These four men were named National Founders for their work in making TKE truly a "national" fraternity.
The Alpha-Rho was installed at University of Rhode Island.
Conclave 1937 was held at Pfister Hotel.
The Alpha-Sigma was installed at University of North Dakota.
The Alpha-Tau was installed at Drexel University.
Conclave 1939 was held at French Lick Springs Hotel.
The Alpha-Upsilon was installed at Fort Hays State University.
The Alpha-Phi was installed at University of Kansas.
Conclave 1942 was held at Edewater Beach Hotel.
The Alpha-Chi was installed at University of Louisville.
Frater Dr. R. C. Williams assumed the office of Grand Prytanis in 1944 and would serve in that capacity through 1949. Frater Williams led the massive task of rebuilding and expanding the Fraternity after World War II. In 1945, a plan was adopted, made possible by the Teke Loyalty Fund, of hiring Traveling Supervisors on a full-time basis. These recent graduates were of tremendous value in reactivating dormant chapters, in training and indoctrinating the Fraters of the active chapters, and in promoting the program of expansion that was to follow. For the first time in its long history (46 years), TKE hired a full-time Field Secretary, Marine Lieutenant Bob Nelson from Delta Chapter.
The Alpha-Psi was installed at Davis & Elkins College.
The Beta-Alpha was installed at Bradley University.
The Beta-Beta was installed at North Carolina State University.
The Beta-Gamma was installed at Oklahoma State University.
The Beta-Delta was installed at University of Maryland.
The Beta-Epsilon was installed at Trine University.
The Beta-Eta was installed at Missouri University of Science and Technology.
The Beta-Zeta was installed at Louisiana Tech University.
The Beta-Theta was installed at University of Missouri-Columbia.
The Alpha-Omega was installed at University of California, Los Angeles.
The Beta-Iota was installed at Iowa Wesleyan College.
The Beta-Kappa was installed at University of Oregon.
The Beta-Lambda was installed at Auburn University.
Conclave 1947 was held at Illini Union Building.
The Beta-Mu was installed at Bucknell University.
The Beta-Nu was installed at Marshall University.
The Beta-Xi was installed at Beta-Xi.
The Beta-Omicron was installed at Wayne State University.
The Beta-Pi was installed at Georgia Institute of Technology.
The Beta-Rho was installed at University of Akron.
The Beta-Sigma was installed at University of Southern California.
The Beta-Tau was installed at Florida Southern College.
The Beta-Upsilon was installed at University of Maine - Orono.
The Beta-Phi was installed at Louisiana State University.
The Beta-Chi was installed at Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
The Beta-Psi was installed at Arkansas State University.
The Beta-Omega was installed at Missouri State University.
The Gamma-Alpha was installed at University of Wyoming.
The Gamma-Beta was installed at Colorado State University.
Conclave 1949 was held at Drake Hotel.
The Golden Jubilee Conclave in Chicago, September 1-3, 1949, celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of the founding of the Fraternity and marked the publication of The Golden Book of Tau Kappa Epsilon, a detailed history of the first fifty years of the Fraternity, compiled by Leland F. Leland.
The Gamma-Gamma was installed at University of Texas at El Paso.
The Gamma-Epsilon was installed at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
The Gamma-Delta was installed at University of Miami.
The Gamma-Zeta was installed at Hartwick College.
The Gamma-Eta was installed at Idaho State University.
The Gamma-Theta was installed at University of Florida.
The Gamma-Iota was installed at University of Colorado at Boulder.
The Gamma-Kappa was installed at Indiana University.
The Gamma-Lambda was installed at San Diego State University.
The Gamma-Mu was installed at Furman University.
The Gamma-Nu was installed at University of Toledo.
The Gamma-Xi was installed at University of New Mexico.
The Gamma-Omicron was installed at University of Virginia.
The Gamma-Pi was installed at Parsons College.
The Gamma-Rho was installed at Indiana State University.
The Gamma-Sigma was installed at University of Kentucky.
The Gamma-Tau was installed at University of Denver.
The Gamma-Upsilon was installed at University of Texas at Austin.
The Gamma-Phi was installed at Emporia State University.
The Gamma-Chi was installed at Valparaiso University.
Conclave 1951 was held at Hotel Roanoke.
The Gamma-Psi was installed at Butler University.
The Gamma-Omega was installed at Eastern Illinois University.
The Delta-Alpha was installed at Western Michigan University.
The Delta-Beta was installed at Lake Forest College.
The Delta-Gamma was installed at University of Connecticut.
The Delta-Delta was installed at University of Northern Colorado.
Tau Kappa Epsilon granted its 100th charter to an undergraduate chapter on February 28, 1953, when Delta Delta Tau, a local fraternity at Colorado State College, Greeley, was installed as Delta-Delta chapter.
The Delta-Epsilon was installed at Cleveland State University.
The Delta-Zeta was installed at Southeast Missouri State University.
The Delta-Eta was installed at Northern Illinois University.
Conclave 1953 was held at Hotel Savery.
The Delta-Theta was installed at California State University, Long Beach.
The Delta-Iota was installed at Lenoir-Rhyne University.
The Delta-Kappa was installed at High Point University.
The Delta-Lambda was installed at University of Central Missouri.
The Delta-Mu was installed at Pittsburg State University.
The Delta-Nu was installed at Northwest Missouri State University.
The Delta-Xi was installed at Miami University.
The Delta-Omicron was installed at Central Michigan University.
The Delta-Pi was installed at Eastern Michigan University.
The Delta-Rho was installed at Indiana University of Pennsylvania.
The Delta-Sigma was installed at Morningside College.
The Delta-Tau was installed at University of Northern Iowa.
The Delta-Upsilon was installed at Missouri Valley College.
The Delta-Chi was installed at Gannon University.
The Delta-Omega was installed at Western State College of Colorado.
The Delta-Phi was installed at Saint Francis University.
The Delta-Psi was installed at North Dakota State University.
The Epsilon-Alpha was installed at Saint Louis University.
The Epsilon-Beta was installed at University of Tampa.
Conclave 1955 was held at Hotel President.
The Epsilon-Gamma was installed at Moravian College.
The Epsilon-Delta was installed at University of Massachusetts Amherst.
The Epsilon-Zeta was installed at Rider University.
The Epsilon-Epsilon was installed at University of Nebraska at Omaha.
The Epsilon-Eta was installed at Southwestern Oklahoma State University.
The Epsilon-Theta was installed at Southeastern Oklahoma State University.
The Epsilon-Iota was installed at Youngstown State University.
The Epsilon-Kappa was installed at Loyola University Chicago.
The Epsilon-Lambda was installed at University of Missouri-Kansas City.
The Epsilon-Mu was installed at University of Louisiana at Monroe.
The Epsilon-Nu was installed at University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point.
The Epsilon-Omicron was installed at University of Houston.
The Epsilon-Xi was installed at Shepherd University.
"El Rancho was occupied on August 15, 1956, and served as temporary TKE headquarters in Kansas City, Missouri.
The Epsilon-Pi was installed at Colgate University.
The Epsilon-Rho was installed at Northern Arizona University.
The Epsilon-Sigma was installed at University of Central Oklahoma.
The Epsilon-Tau was installed at University of Rochester.
The Epsilon-Upsilon was installed at Northwestern State University.
The Epsilon-Phi was installed at University of Detroit Mercy.
The Epsilon-Chi was installed at University at Buffalo.
The Epsilon-Psi was installed at McNeese State University.
The Epsilon-Omega was installed at Minot State University.
The Zeta-Beta was installed at University of Evansville.
The Zeta-Alpha was installed at Wagner College.
The Zeta-Gamma was installed at Nebraska Wesleyan University.
Conclave 1957 was held at Bedford Springs Hotel.
The Zeta-Delta was installed at Alma College.
The Zeta-Epsilon was installed at Waynesburg University.
The Zeta-Zeta was installed at University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
The Zeta-Eta was installed at Muhlenberg College.
The Zeta-Theta was installed at Western Illinois University.
The Zeta-Iota was installed at University of Manitoba.
On March 15, 1958, TKE truly became an international fraternity when a charter was presented to Canadian Alpha colony, at the University of Manitoba, establishing it as Zeta-Iota Chapter.
The Zeta-Kappa was installed at Portland State University.
The Zeta-Lambda was installed at Bowling Green State University.
The Zeta-Mu was installed at Worcester Polytechnic Institute.
The Zeta-Nu was installed at Valdosta State University.
The Zeta-Xi was installed at Boston University.
The Zeta-Omicron was installed at Western Carolina University.
The Zeta-Pi was installed at Culver-Stockton College.
On April 4, 1959, Zeta-Omicron chapter was installed at Western Carolina College, Cullowhee, North Carolina. This event was a landmark in that it made Tau Kappa Epsilon the largest social fraternity in the world.
The Zeta-Rho was installed at American International College.
The Zeta-Sigma was installed at Marietta College.
The Zeta-Tau was installed at Shippensburg University.
The Zeta-Upsilon was installed at Alliance College.
The Zeta-Phi was installed at Rollins College.
The Zeta-Chi was installed at Murray State University.
The Zeta-Psi was installed at Hamline University.
The Zeta-Omega was installed at California University of Pennsylvania.
Conclave 1959 was held at Sheridan Cadillac Hotel.
The Theta-Alpha was installed at Loyola Marymount University.
The Theta-Beta was installed at Belmont Abbey College.
The Theta-Gamma was installed at Lock Haven University.
The Theta-Epsilon was installed at Humboldt State University.
The Theta-Delta was installed at Fairmont State University.
The Theta-Zeta was installed at Rutgers University, Newark.
The Theta-Eta was installed at University of South Dakota.
It all began with a dream of initiating someone famous as an honorary member of the Tau Kappa Epsilon (TKE) Fraternity at Arkansas State College in the fall of 1960. Chapter president Rick Husky came up with the idea of presenting Elvis Presley with an award. Due to Elvis’ generous charitable contributions, Husky thought of the idea to present a “Man of the Year Award.”
The Theta-Theta was installed at California State University.
The Theta-Iota was installed at Northern Michigan University.
The Theta-Kappa was installed at Long Island University, Post.
The Theta-Lambda was installed at Widener University.
The Theta-Mu was installed at University of New Orleans.
The Theta-Nu was installed at Southeastern Louisiana University.
The Theta-Xi was installed at University of Arkansas.
The Theta-Sigma was installed at St. John's University.
The Theta-Tau was installed at Minnesota State University, Mankato.
The Theta-Omicron was installed at Adrian College.
The Theta-Pi was installed at California State University, Chico.
The Theta-Rho was installed at St. Cloud State University.
Conclave 1961 was held at Rodney Plaza.
The Theta-Upsilon was installed at California State University, Sacramento.
The Theta-Phi was installed at University of Wisconsin-La Crosse.
The Theta-Chi was installed at Frostburg State University.
The Theta-Psi was installed at Ferris State University.
The Theta-Omega was installed at University of Charleston.
The Iota-Alpha was installed at University of Wisconsin-Superior.
The Iota-Beta was installed at Susquehanna University.
The Iota-Gamma was installed at Truman State University.
The Iota-Delta was installed at Southern Oregon University.
The Iota-Epsilon was installed at Minnesota State University Moorhead.
The Iota-Zeta was installed at Syracuse University.
The Iota-Eta was installed at Slippery Rock University.
The Iota-Theta was installed at Centenary College of Louisiana.
Forty-one new chapters were installed during the administration of Frater Don Kaser, a veteran of 10 years of service on the Grand Council, the most significant being the 200th charter granted to Iota-Theta Chapter at Centenary College in Shreveport, Louisiana, on March 23, 1963.
The Iota-Iota was installed at La Salle University.
The Iota-Kappa was installed at Clarkson University.
The Iota-Lambda was installed at Indiana Institute of Technology.
The Iota-Mu was installed at University of Findlay.
The Iota-Nu was installed at Hillsdale College.
The Iota-Xi was installed at Concord University.
The Iota-Omicron was installed at University of Wisconsin-Whitewater.
The Iota-Pi was installed at Kent State University.
The Iota-Rho was installed at Seton Hall University.
Conclave 1963 was held at Marrott Hotel.
The International Headquarters was moved to Indianapolis in the summer of 1961 to a Georgian style brick home at 3755 Washington Boulevard and was formally dedicated in August of 1963 during the 32 Conclave. This would serve as TKE's central office for the next 10 years.
The Iota-Sigma was installed at University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire.
The Iota-Tau was installed at East Stroudsburg University.
The Iota-Upsilon was installed at University of West Alabama.
The Iota-Phi was installed at Defiance College.
The Iota-Chi was installed at New Mexico Highlands University.
The Iota-Psi was installed at Dickinson State University.
The Iota-Omega was installed at Glenville State College.
The Kappa-Alpha was installed at Franciscan University of Steubenville.
The Kappa-Beta was installed at University of Texas-Pan American.
The Kappa-Delta was installed at Old Dominion University.
The Kappa-Gamma was installed at The Catholic University of America.
The Kappa-Epsilon was installed at Northland College.
The Kappa-Zeta was installed at Hobart College.
The Kappa-Eta was installed at New Jersey Institute of Technology.
The Kappa-Theta was installed at Adelphi University.
Conclave 1965 was held at Park Plaza Hotel.
The TKE public relations and rush film premiered at the Toronto Conclave. It was the first fraternity film produced by Hollywood professionals, and featured undergraduates from Kansas, Missouri, and California, with alumni Ronald Reagan and Stan Kenton, in a 15- minute color and sound film. Chairman of the Public Relations Commission, George Woolery, and Executive Director Bruce B. Melchert planned the film.
The Kappa-Iota was installed at University of Hartford.
The Kappa-Kappa was installed at Monmouth University.
The Kappa-Lambda was installed at University of Minnesota Morris.
The Kappa-Mu was installed at Edinboro University.
The Kappa-Nu was installed at Rockhurst University.
In an effort to improve the image of TKE and the fraternity system, the Fraternity planned its first Public Service Week in 1966. The week was a great success, with more participation and good publicity than its creators ever imagined. It was adopted as an annual project.
The Kappa-Xi was installed at Black Hills State University.
The Kappa-Omicron was installed at Philadelphia University.
The Kappa-Pi was installed at University of San Diego.
The Kappa-Rho was installed at Mississippi State University.
The Kappa-Sigma was installed at City University of New York.
The Kappa-Tau was installed at University of Arizona.
The Kappa-Upsilon was installed at Villanova University.
The Kappa-Phi was installed at University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh.
The Kappa-Chi was installed at Concordia University.
The Kappa-Psi was installed at Quinnipiac University.
The Kappa-Omega was installed at Washburn University.
The Lambda-Epsilon was installed at Clarion University.
The Lambda-Alpha was installed at University of South Florida.
The Lambda-Zeta was installed at Troy University.
The Lambda-Beta was installed at Lewis University.
The Lambda-Gamma was installed at University of Cincinnati.
The Lambda-Delta was installed at University of Southern Maine.
Conclave 1967 was held at Grand Bahma Hotel.
The Lambda-Eta was installed at University of Iowa.
The Lambda-Theta was installed at Santa Fe University of Art & Design.
The Lambda-Iota was installed at Florida State University.
The Lambda-Kappa was installed at DePaul University.
The Lambda-Lambda was installed at Utica College.
The Lambda-Mu was installed at Elon University.
The Lambda-Nu was installed at University of Wisconsin-Stout.
The Lambda-Xi was installed at Sul Ross State University.
The Lambda-Omicron was installed at University of North Texas.
The Lambda-Rho was installed at Plymouth State University.
The Lambda-Pi was installed at Northeastern Illinois University.
The Lambda-Sigma was installed at Keene State College.
The Lambda-Tau was installed at Northrop University.
The Lambda-Upsilon was installed at Georgia Southern University.
The Lambda-Phi was installed at Bryant University.
The Lambda-Chi was installed at Wayne State College .
The Lambda-Psi was installed at East Carolina University.
The Lambda-Omega was installed at Georgia State University.
The Mu-Alpha was installed at West Chester University.
The Mu-Beta was installed at Eastern Kentucky University.
The Mu-Gamma was installed at Midwestern State University.
The Mu-Delta was installed at Athens State University.
The Mu-Epsilon was installed at University of Massachusetts Lowell.
The Mu-Zeta was installed at Nicholls State University.
The Mu-Eta was installed at Northeastern University.
The Mu-Theta was installed at Lycoming College.
The Mu-Iota was installed at Western New England University.
The Mu-Kappa was installed at University of New Haven.
The Mu-Lambda was installed at Michigan Technological University.
The Mu-Mu was installed at Hofstra University.
The Mu-Nu was installed at University of Wisconsin-Platteville.
The Mu-Xi was installed at California State Univ., Fullerton.
The Mu-Omicron was installed at Tennessee Technological University.
The Mu-Pi was installed at Southampton College.
The Mu-Rho was installed at Bethel University.