One of the most exciting elements of the Membership Quality Board is the focus on excellence provided by the Member Standards and Recruitment Standards. Each chapter has to develop specific written standards to ensure the highest quality men are recruited and retained. These standards must be objective and measurable and cannot exclude because of race, creed, religion, ethnic background, or sexual orientation.
The chapter should set high Recruitment Standards for potential members because recruiting highly qualified and motivated new members helps to ensure chapter prosperity. Prospective members who meet your chapter's Recruitment Standards should be quickly offered a bid. There is no need for the chapter to vote to approve a candidate if the candidate demonstrates that he meets, or exceeds, the Recruitment Standards established by your chapter.
The Membership Quality Board should review the Recruitment Standards annually. The chapter must approve any changes by a majority vote. Recruitment Standards must include but are not limited to:
- Candidate being in good academic standing with the host institution or has a qualifying college entrance score.
- Candidate being committed to meet all financial obligations to the local chapter and the International Fraternity in a timely manner.
- Candidate demonstrating talents, skills or abilities which will benefit the Fraternity. Each local chapter is encouraged to supplement these standards by determining their own levels of expectation in some of the following areas:
- High school or past college academic results (i.e., GPA of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale, etc.).
- Involvement in extracurricular activities.
- Parental support for joining the Fraternity.
- Held previous leadership positions or involvement in other organizations.
- Has the ability to fit in and participate as a member of the chapter team.
- Has a commitment to abide by the chapter's Member Standards, Bylaws and traditions.